The University of Surrey had an existing on-premise implementation of SharePoint 2010, which provided a collaborative environment, areas for the storage and management of service documentation and general content creation related to the University departments.
They recently implemented an Office 365 tenancy with the objective of understanding how the on-premise SharePoint 2010 environment could be migrated to SharePoint Online and what benefits would be derived from this strategic activity.
Requirements and Issues
- To provide a University-wide EDRM solution for the storage and management of Faculty and Department documents
- To improve find-ability of key content and to facilitate intuitive collaboration between project teams using standard tools and applications
- To reduce complexity and duplication of content.
Silversands was engaged by the University’s IT Services department to provide specialist consultancy and assistance to build a proof of concept (POC) using the Office 365 (SharePoint Online) environment.
The POC was delivered and successfully addressed a range of key functional areas and new capabilities provided by SharePoint Online and the University subsequently engaged Silversands to assist with the creation of a detailed design and governance framework with a view to progressing the solution to a full implementation/rollout.
The detailed design encompassed several key areas including:
- Site architecture
- Search design and framework
- Site navigation
- Site content types
- Managed metadata and term sets
- SharePoint Online administration
The overall outcome of the project was to realise a number of business benefits including the following:
- Providing a common method for the creation, storage and management of University documents
- Reducing duplication of documents
- Implementing a robust yet flexible archiving and records retention environment that allows for future requirements
If you have any questions about this case study, please fill in the attached form and we will get back to you with any information you need.