The Royal British Legion was already working with us and on track to deliver a full Office 365 implementation over a period of 18 months. When the Covid-19 crisis began a decision was made to deploy Teams within just three weeks.
Our challenge working with The Royal British Legion team was to have all 1,500 users up and running with Chat, Meetings and a Directorate Level Team to support working from home.
To exacerbate the challenge we were faced with a mixed device estate; some staff were on managed devices, others had versions of BYOD and a great number were using their personal laptops, computers and tablets.
We worked in close partnership alongside a team of Legion colleagues to deliver a 10-day pilot to five teams and then help them implement the full Teams roll-out to 1,500 staff.
Technical, working with the IM&T department:
- Deployed Microsoft Teams using the People Manager Framework
- Basic governance including preventing download of apps to personal devices, setting a basic retention policy, turning off Groups creation, restricting the IP range to the UK and blocking guest access to Teams. All will be reviewed once the project resumes later this year.
Adoption working with Project and Internal Comms Teams:
- We provided a full communications and engagement programme that included implementing and customising Learning Pathways with a lot of contextual content that highlighted Legion specific requirements.
- Training and development sessions for Teams Owners and Yammer Admins. End-users provided with a series of webinars on Chat, Meetings, OneDrive, Yammer, Co-authoring and Channels.
- Implemented Yammer for internal comms to support the rollout and address concerns about social isolation
- Daily update message crafted for CIO that gave users core information in more easily digestible chunks. This daily update message was also loaded into Learning Pathways as a resource staff could refer to.
- 1,500 staff were enabled on Microsoft Teams in just 3 weeks
- This project demonstrated what can be achieved working together as a team, rather than partner and client
“Our existing close relationship with Silversands enabled us to get them to act as a trusted partner, working alongside our team to deliver rapid change. We were able to take advantage of their expertise, and their capacity to deliver in a short period of time. Silversands had a good breadth of capability and were able to get us the right staff with the right knowledge, which really helped us do something which normally wouldn’t have been possible”
Stuart McSkimming, CIO
If you have any questions about this case study, please fill in the attached form and we will get back to you with any information you need.