Bournemouth Council had undertaken a programme of works to modernise its aging on-premise IT infrastructure. The aim, to provide the collaborative tools for its employees to work efficiently together across a range of outside locations as well using office based situations, using mobile and tablet devices. Its incumbent BAU support partner was struggling to deliver the transformation required. As a result, Silversands was approached to engage and deliver the programme.
This programme was designed to provide the necessary technology to enable Bournemouth Council to deliver their vision and allow their staff to work in a flexible way.
As part of a Microsoft cloud strategy and to improve services and communications across the organisation, the Council elected to utilise Office 365. The project was to assist in this transformation with Silversands moving existing on premise Exchange email to Exchange Online and to deliver the modern Office 365 ProPlus suite to all of the end users. Additional benefits included enabling Skype for Business and the migration of PST-based archives into Exchange Online Archiving.
Requirements and Issues
- Implement Office 365 tenancy and authentication
- Create migration solution and process
- Update of the legacy office solutions
- Support migration of 3,500 mailboxes
- Close migration support for councillors and VIP employees
- Implementing Office 365 Enterprise
- Implementing an identity solution based on Azure AD Connect and ADFS to provide authentication and directory synchronisation
- Undertaking a staged upgrade to Exchange 2010 to facilitate migration from Exchange 2007
- Migrating the on premise Exchange email and archives to Exchange Online
- Providing post migration support
- Upgrading desktop Office from 2007 to Office 365 ProPlus (2016)
- Training and upskilling the BAU staff to support the organisation into the future
- Identifying key areas of Office 365 that provide new ways of working, such as SharePoint Online, OneDrive and Skype for Business
Bournemouth Borough Council migrated 3,500 users and their mailboxes within the business-defined time window.
Migration events were completed with minimal post-migration support
Management overheads are significantly reduced
Staff can work flexibly on multiple devices at various locations
Significant savings on local storage costs