Kew had undertaken a programme of works entitled ‘Information Technology and Telephony Modernisation’.
This programme of work aimed to provide the necessary technology to enable Kew users to undertake their day-to-day jobs in a flexible way, as 78% of Kew staff are classed as mobile users whom travel the UK, Europe and worldwide in their employment.
As part of a Microsoft cloud strategy and to improve services and communications across the organisation, Kew selected to utilise Office 365 to assist in this transformation with Silversands moving existing on premise Exchange email to Exchange online and data (documents) from an existing network drive structure to SharePoint online.
Requirements and Issues
- The need for a powerful, well established IT platform that covers our diverse business
- Issues with multiple on-the-move users needing high availability required a high level of security
- Maintaining up-to-date email with secure connectivity without the need for on premise servers
- High levels of content and collaboration required across the entire organisation
- Secure but easy to access storage of files from many locations
- Bringing our Office365 completely up-to-date without the need for constant updates
- Implementing Office 365 Enterprise
- Implementing Dirsync with password sync to provide authentication and directory synchronisation
- Migrating the on premise Exchange email to Exchange Online
- Migrating shared drive documents to SharePoint Online
- Migrating personal file storage to OneDrive for Business
- Upgrading desktop Office from 2007 to Office Pro Plus
The project was completed in 2015 and delivered:
- Exchange online email solution/functionality
- A real-time communication solution where there was none before providing improved collaboration across the organisation
- Enablement of OneNote to provide benefits to researchers for recording and sharing information
- Reducing latency related to notification and sharing of global research data
- A platform to support improved collaboration, document management and future technology initiatives.