Just in case you missed it, after 9th July Microsoft will no longer release regular security updates for SQL Server 2008 or 2008 R2. What does this mean in practice? Vulnerabilities that get discovered after this will not receive fixes, increasing risk and likely affecting compliance.
Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2, typically the paired operating system is also very close to being out of support (14th January 2020) and will have the same issues.
Ok, so you’ve got my attention, so what can I do about it?
- Be cautiously optimistic and do absolutely nothing. The world is, after all, full of nice people and your security patching policy is bang-on. Oh, wait, no more security updates…
- Get Extended Security Updates from Microsoft by either paying a large amount of cash (75% of the full licence cost, per year – ouch!) or my migrating to an Azure virtual machine which Microsoft are ‘encouraging’ by providing Extended Security Updates free for three more years.
- Upgrade to a supported version of SQL Server and Windows Server, such as SQL Server 2017 and Windows Server 2019. SQL Server 2008 was released over 10 years ago and there have been incredible improvements in security, performance and high availability since that time, some of which are highlighted in this graphic. This could also be great opportunity to consider virtualising the platform if it isn’t already, whether that is by moving to a cloud services provider such as Azure or by staying on-premises.
- Migrate to a fully managed database platform with Azure SQL Database or Azure SQL Database Managed Instance. No more worrying about operating system upgrades or installing security updates, which is nice.
That seems like it could be a lot of work, how can Silversands help with your SQL server?
We provide a wide range of services to helping you get the most of your systems, including:
- Upgrade, migration and consolidation, from initial guidance through provisioning and go-live support, for both on-premises and cloud deployments.
- High availability and disaster recovery planning and implementation.
- Outsourced database administration capability, from ad-hoc support to 24×7 cover.
- In-depth SQL Server platform health checks, either one-off or as a regular service.
Silversands is a Microsoft Gold Partner and specialist in Microsoft 365 and Azure / Hybrid cloud. To talk to one of our consultants please complete and submit the form below or attend one of our expert-led seminars.